Friday, February 22, 2013

Quiltcon Day1

On the first day of Quiltcon, I took the Modern Block Improv workshop with Sherri Lynn Wood.  I was looking forward to the class because this is the first time that I have ever taken a quilt class.
 
The first thing that I learned was to get to class early!  Our quilt supply list stated to be at class 15 minutes early to set up.  Well I was there 16 minutes early and most all the seats were taken.  I got one of the last seats in the back row.  But it was next to the ironing station, so all I had to do was turn my chair to iron a piece if needed.
  
 
 
The class began with instruction and a centering exercise, then we were instructed to work in silence for 30 minutes. I really enjoyed this silent period because it was a big change from a room full of quilters talking.
 
It was interesting to see that some quilters sew with their shoes off and some keep their shoes on.  I sew without shoes, but tried to sew wearing sneakers which felt weird. 
 
This was the first time that I have ever used a design wall.  At home, I have a design floor.


 
I couldn't figure out which of the 3 block designs to go with at first.  I then decided to work with the Monkey Wrench or Churn Dash blocks mostly because I hate to work with triangles.  Although, I am pleased with all the blocks and will use them in projects when I return home.

 
I can't believe how fast the day seemed to go by.  I believe that there were 25 people in the class and I was surprised at the age range of the students.  There was quite a mixture of ages.
 
During the lunch break, I was able to quickly run through the show and visit a few vendors. 
 
Day2 is Color Your Cloth with Malka Dubrawsky which is at an off-site location.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time - I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. I wanted to go so bad, but it's nice living a little vicariously.

    ReplyDelete