Thursday, March 1, 2012

Color Palette Challenge - February

The inspiration piece for February's challenge was created by Vicki Welsh at Field Trips in Fiber.



When I first saw all of the colors for February, I thought of making a landscape using a design where I could practice working with curves.  I didn't stray too far from my first thoughts to the final design.  

This is a mini quilt created for the AAQI titled "Empty Path".  The piece measures just under 9 x 12 and is machine pieced and hand quilted.  I have added small black beads randomly to the shadowed tree.  I could not easily determine how to incorporate the red and orange colors.  I finally decided to include these colors as mini half square triangles which represent flowers. 

I am happy with my curves and the hand stitching, but I have a feeling that this piece just doesn't seem done to me.



I have enjoyed working with these challenges and having the deadline of one month to complete the project.  This time restriction has really caused me stretch in many ways.  Not only do I need to determine a project that I can complete in a month, but I also need to plan out the project.  (Usually I am a person that takes a long time to complete a project because I work on many projects at once!) 

Stop by Patchwork Times to check out the other entries in this month's challenge. 

Also, its the first of the month so I am linking up to the Small Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts. I always enjoy this meet up because I get a chance to discover new blogs.

Lily's Quilts

12 comments:

  1. Hi! Just stopping in from the SBM. Your mini quilt is beautiful, I love the colors. Your dog is super adorable! I love your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your curves are great...I have the hardest time with those myself. What a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by to say Hi from Lilly's small blog meet. Looking forward to visiting more later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by from Lily's small blog meet. I just started blogging last week. Your mod mood quilt looks great! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colour palate, and your mini looks fab! Pop over to my blog, I'm giving you the Leibster :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through LQ... Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that colour palette is beautiful and love your mini quilt! popped in from Lily's quilts SBM. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm participating in the Color Palette Challenge also. Very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would a tiny bit of embroidery complete your mini for you? Maybe some buds in the tree or a bird. Add just enough to make the beginnings of a story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those colours (flowers)!
    And I admire your modmood quilt!
    I really want to have a go at that and it's becoming more and more clear in my mind; and then I'll start working on one
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete