Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Spring 2015

It is time for the Spring 2015 Blogger's Quilt Festival and I have decided to share my "Burning Love" quilt.  It is 58" x 56" and was quilted using straight line quilting.

This quilt was made as part of the test quilts for the Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters and was chosen to be included in the book.


When Sherri asked for test quilters, I immediately knew that I wanted to sign up.  I had been following her blog, daintytime, for a while and was waiting for Sherri's book on improv quilting.  I really like the look of improv quilts, but never achieved the results I wanted.  

Once I received the email assigning me to a test group, I thought I would start by restricting myself to using a defined color palette.  Since I mostly had red and gray solids in my stash, that became my color choice.  I don't think the photo shows this, but the main background gray has very slight variations.  The fabric must have come from different dye lots and I like the effect it has on the quilt.


I'll admit to being stuck at first.  I think that the hardest part for me was getting started and making the first cut.  I then remembered a saying that I heard that "improv always means saying yes, and ...."

So I took a strip of red fabric, made an angled cut, and said "yes".  And, then I made the next cut and the quilt construction started to take off.  I wanted to take process photos, but once I got started I just got into the flow of making "blocks".

The quilt top took about three nights to complete and the layout is the first one that I laid out on my design floor.  I did try out some other layouts and stepped back from it for a day to really think about it, but I came back to the original layout.  


I learned while working on this quilt to not limit myself.  When I first read the directions regarding working with a Flying Geese block, I had a moment of panic and immediately thought "I can't do this, I don't do triangles".  But that was nonsense of course, I just had to throw that thought into the garbage and get to work.

Also, this is the first time that I have ever made a hanging sleeve or used invisible thread.  I was a bit worried about using invisible thread, but there were no problems at all during the quilting.

I'm not in the habit of naming my quilts.  I knew that I had to choose a name, but couldn't really think of anything.  It was the anniversary of my aunt's death from cancer and I was playing Elvis music all day because she was such a super huge fan.  When I heard the song "Burning Love", the name stuck with me.

+

"Burning Love" is the second quilt that I have made using one of Sherri's techniques.  "Busting Out" was my entry into the 2012 Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival.   It was made as part of the Mod Mood Quilt Along which is the "Get Your Curve On" score in the book.  Even today, I cannot believe that I made this quilt.  Maybe because it was so different from anything else I had ever created or maybe because I was totally lost in the flow during the construction.  

16281782747_11450f7fc2_b

I am looking forward to working through all of the scores in the book.  Yes, I can't believe that I want to try every technique in a book.  Maybe I will have another improv quilt to share during the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival.

Blogger’s Quilt Festival :: Spring 2015

I hope that you will check out all of the entries into the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  There is so much quilty inspiration and I enjoy visiting the blogs and reading about the quilts.  A big thanks to Amy for sponsoring this event.

Linking to Finish it Friday and Whoop, Whoop Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, this is gorgeous! It's one of my very favorites in the festival! I kinda like the varied background and just the overall effect makes me smile BIG. Trust it's ok to share on my A Quilter's Table facebook page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two fabulous quilts make me feel all the joys. Can't wait to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolute love both quilts! It takes a lot of courage to just jump in and do something you haven't done before, free yourself and do improv quilting, well done! Good luck in the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burning Love is incredible!! I love the improv design you made and the colours are so so gorgeous! It's really striking and one of my very favourites too! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete