It is finally finished! The quilt was made using the great Mod Mood quilt along instructions at Daintytime. The original title was "Busting Out" (as in the scraps busting out of my bag), but I am also thinking of calling it "Willy Wonka's Music Factory".
This is something that I would have never thought myself capable of making, but 2012 is the year that I declared I would learn new things and stretch my quilting skills. So, I thought I would just go for it.
I always thought of myself as someone who doesn't use solids. But after pulling from my stash and scrap piles, I realized that I had enough varied scraps for the quilt.
It is machine pieced with some hand piecing. The quilting is done by hand in a free form pattern using random colored thread. I will admit that finishing off the design was a real bugaboo. I spent a week trying different options and just staring at it hoping that an answer would pop in my mind. Even after it was finished, for several days I told my mom I wanted to take scissors and cut it. She promptly kept the quilt for a bit.