When I first saw this month's colors, I was inspired to work with a vintage sheet. However, my mom wouldn't give me any of hers (bummer). I went to my LQS and then to Joann's, but didnt find anything that matched what was in my mind. I did find in the remnant bin at Joann's a piece of floral fabric. Now I am not at all floraly, but thought it may work.
This month, there were several new ideas that I thought I would try out:
- Using a traditional block, but making it very small. Maybe a monkey wrench, shoo-fly, or star.
- Inspired by the recent EZ Dresden quilting challenge blog hop, I thought I may try using my EZ Quilting Rulers by Darlene Zimmerman (a dresden & a traingle). I have never used the rulers before.
Now, I have never made a dresden before, but since I wanted a mini block I thought I would work with the 2 1/2 size plate. Since these plates seemed so small I figured that I would make 3 mini dresden flowers. I cut the plates or blades out of scraps. I think that the tedious part was ironing each blade to create the pointed petal ends.
Once I started sewing the blades together the flower is made pretty fast, but I did not have a mini block. I am still trying to figure this one out. My flowers measure about 7 inches across. The flowers were hand appliqued to the floral fabric with a straight line running stitch. The stems were also appliqued with stash scraps.
It was hand quilted and hangs in my mom's house. I am glad that I managed to just get this piece finished to be posted on this month's Color Palette Challenge at Patchwork Times.
Action photo shot
Today, I feel like I spent more time trying to get a good shot of this mini than I did quilting. A small break in the rain today, but no sunny shots.
I am also linking up today to Hand Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts.