Friday, June 1, 2012

Color Palette Challenge - May

The inspiration piece for May's challenge was created by Vicki Welsh at Field Trips in Fiber.


As discussed briefly in my last post, May really threw me for a loop.  The only project that I worked on was this challenge piece.  When I first saw these colors, I was surprised to find myself saying the exact same thing I say every month - "I don't know what I will do with these colors, these are not the colors I work with!"

But after searching through my stash, I found a small bag of leftover snippets from a quilt I had made and the colors matched nicely.  This month I decided to work on a design idea using a lot of white with small shots of color, something simple and geometric.  I also thought I would try machine quilting.


So those were the ideas I started with, and the finished piece is close to what I had imagined in my mind.  This mini quilt measures 16 x 17.  Now, I have no experience with machine quilting, but thought I would just try something.......well, it didn't quite work out.  Obviously I need more time to learn how to machine quilt.  I ripped out the machine stitches and started hand quilting the mini-quilt.  My mom was able to finish the piece just in time so I could post it for this month's challenge at Patchwork Times.  Check out the challenge colors for June, they are bright.  And yes, not my normal colors.

As you can tell from my photo, I am still working on one of my 2012 goals of learning to take better photos of my quilts.

Also, today is the 1st of the month so I am linking up to the Small Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts.  This is a good opportunity to discover smaller blogs as there is so much great inspiration out in the blogworld.

8 comments:

  1. oh my that is one inspiring mosaic, isn't it?! I think you did great using it to create your project. Congrats on doing some machine quilting, even though it's new to you! Just wondering ifyou used a walking foot - that is definitely one key to success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am coming over from the Small Blog Meet. I'm so impressed with people who hand quilt, I've been wanting to try it for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I really love your color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This little quilt is so sweet! Funny, I am the opposite - machine quilting seems easy, while hand quilting is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're being to hard on yourself. It's lovely and I like the simplicity of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the simplicity of the design makes those colours pop and your quilting is the perfect complement :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the design and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! I love the modern feel of it.

    ReplyDelete