Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Busting Out!


It is finally finished!  The quilt was made using the great Mod Mood quilt along instructions at Daintytime.  The original title was "Busting Out" (as in the scraps busting out of my bag), but I am also thinking of calling it "Willy Wonka's Music Factory".

This is something that I would have never thought myself capable of making, but 2012 is the year that I declared I would learn new things and stretch my quilting skills.  So, I thought I would just go for it.

I always thought of myself as someone who doesn't use solids.  But after pulling from my stash and scrap piles, I realized that I had enough varied scraps for the quilt.

It is machine pieced with some hand piecing.  The quilting is done by hand in a free form pattern using random colored thread.  I will admit that finishing off the design was a real bugaboo.  I spent a week trying different options and just staring at it hoping that an answer would pop in my mind.  Even after it was finished, for several days I told my mom I wanted to take scissors and cut it.  She promptly kept the quilt for a bit.

18 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic and I love how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is amazing. Well done for persevering and finishing it off - just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a gutsy finish. It is hard to step out of your comfort zone....looks like you need to expand your zone a bit. This is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing. It just looks like it was hard to make! Seriously, even people who don't know what goes into making a "blanket" could tell that was a hard core process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is fantastic. Looks like a wild game board and I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!
    Amazing!!!
    Fabulous!!
    You just have to love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOAH THAT IS SO BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations. And thanks for posting it in the Mod-Mood Flickr group

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY!! Just amazing to look at -- great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! It's so bright and cheerful. I've been thinking about making one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is a stunning quilt Mina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Thumbs way up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is fabulous!! I love looking at it. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favorite things I've seen in a long time. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fantastic! congrats on a wonderful quilt - the red background is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilt is absolutely amazing! Love it - Love it - Love it. The red background was a stroke of genius. It set off the colors so much more than white would have.

    You are invited to post about your creativity, what sparks it, what fuels it long-term, on my blog. I would love to hear about your creative process.
    Donna Grace Hinton aka HapiStitcher

    ReplyDelete