Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hands 2 Help Challenge - Finals

Today, starts the link-up party to show off the Hands 2 Help Challenge quilts. 

 
Last year, I had just found the challenge when it was over and was inspired by all the charity quilts.  I told myself that if they had a challenge in 2013, that I was going to join in. 
 
There are 2 charities benefiting from the challenge this year: Happy Chemo and Quilts Beyond Boarders.  I set a goal of 2 quilts for each and I am happy to say that I ended up with a total of 5 quilts that are going to new homes.
 
The first quilts made are 2 children's quilts going to Quilts Beyond Boarders.  I created the quilt top using various widths of polka dots fabrics from stash and backing it with a bright red cat print that is also used on the front.
 
 
The next quilt was made using the Long Division tutorial at Crazy Mom Quilts.  This is the largest of these quilts that I made and it is going to Happy Chemo.
 
 
The last 2 quilts started out in my mind as a jelly roll strip quilt.  I soon discovered that not all jelly rolls are created equal.  I must have purchased a small jelly roll because I soon ended up with a large rectangle of strips that was no where big enough for a quilt. 
 
It sat for a few days while I wondered how to solve this issue.  I decided to cut the rectangle in half, making 2 squares.  The squares were then surrounded with a large strip of orange fabric creating 2 throw size quilts.  These 2 quilts will be headed to Happy Chemo.
 
 
 
A super big thanks to Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for all her work organizing this challenge.  I look forward to seeing all the 2013 quilts and hope to join in once again in 2014.
 

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilts! I have a couple of those smaller jelly rolls, I'll have to remember this if I want to use them for a quilt :) Love the polka dot quilts, those are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your quilts are beautiful. You are a very generous person. These quilt will bring much comfort to someone special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful! They are going to make some one very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina, those are all beautiful quilts! I've had the same problem with the smaller jelly rolls - they make wonderful baby quilts, too! Borders are a good solution. Thank you so much for participating this year, and I hope to see you back next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! 5 quilts! Isn't this a fun challenge? I look forward to doing it again next year. Last year was my first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you rocked it. What a wonderful giving person you are...

    ReplyDelete