Saturday, March 16, 2013

National Quilting Day - 2 Year Blogiversery

I cant believe it, but 2 years ago on National Quilting Day I started this blog.  I have been thinking lately about how I started quilting.  My mom sewed a lot when I grew up, everything from Army patches on uniforms, to clothing, and curtains.  She had scraps that I would play with, but she did not quilt.
 
I had always been crafty and was wandering through a craft store when I bought my first ever craft book, the "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons & Liz Porter.

 
 
I believe that I have made every quilt in this book, several times over.  This book has fallen apart, but it is still my favorite instruction book.
 
 
 
My first quilts were log cabin quilts.  I loved strip piecing the blocks and was quite a speed demon, making a lot of these quilts.  I gave my first log cabin to my mom and it is still used daily.
 
This is one log cabin that I still have and the label says that it was made in 1998.
 
 
 
There is a free ebook from Fons and Porter with instructions on how to create log cabins and the different looks that you can achieve by changing up the layouts.
 
 
I think that my favorite quilt in this ebook is the Chevron Log Cabin.  This layout looks modern to me and is on my to-do list.
 
 
I hope that everyone was able to get some quilting done on Worldwide Quilting Day!
 
 
Worldwide Quilting Day
 

1 comment:

  1. I have that Quilter's Complete Guide book. It is great! Love the log cabin.

    ReplyDelete